by Donna M. Velasquez, PhD, RN, FNP-BC, FAANP
Clinical Associate Professor
College of Nursing and Health Innovation
Arizona State University
President, Western Institute of Nursing
As a doctoral student, I not only began to disseminate my work at annual WIN conferences, but was able to network with nursing scholars, scientists, and fellow students. It was exciting to meet the authors of books and articles I was reading for my courses and dissertation work. I will never forget discussing my study with an attendee when I suddenly noticed her nametag and realized I was explaining how I was applying her theory!
Becoming more involved in WIN, I became the student representative to the WIN Board of Directors, learning the intricacies of running a professional organization and making lasting friendships and connections. Since graduation I have remained active in WIN and am currently serving as Chair of WIN’s Program Committee.
WIN is one of the few organizations that addresses the needs and interests of nurses and students engaged in research, practice, and education in all areas of health care. Opportunities such as the WIN conference are critical if we are to be successful in improving healthcare in the 21st century.
When you attend the WIN conferences, you will get the opportunity to NETWORK with nursing clinicians, faculty, scientists and scholars who are:
- Leaders in nursing education, practice and research in the Western United States;
Individual educators, clinicians and researchers who have a commitment to share their expertise to develop knowledge and apply it to advance the profession of nursing;and
Leaders in health care delivery from diverse acute care, chronic care and community based settings.
- Not to mention the added benefit of meeting new colleagues who are Undergraduate and Graduate students from across the region and the world and who are at various stages of completing their nursing educational programs.
You will have multiple learning opportunities throughout the conference, such as:
- Presenting your own scholarly work in a welcoming environment such as a podium or poster presentation
- Receiving instant feedback about your presentation from outstanding nursing scholars all while learning about the latest cutting edge nursing science for clinical, academic and research
- Being mentored in preparing for your podium or poster presentation. Click here to visit the Presenter’s Corner
Don’t forget a few fun activities to network with your new colleagues such as:
- Free student breakfast
- WIN’s Silent Auction – a little shopping – and socializing
- WIN’s Friday Night Reception – light hors d’oeuvre and more networking
- You get all of this at a discounted registration fee for student members!
You will join at a discounted rate of $98 as a student member! And, when you are a new graduate, you are eligible to join WIN for the first year of membership after graduation as a New Graduate at the rate of $139. We look forward to welcoming you to the WIN conference, April 11-14, 2017 at the Davenport Grand Hotel, Spokane, Washington.
Like us on Facebook