Why Attend the WIN Conference?
by Donna M. Velasquez, PhD, RN, FNP-BC, FAANP
Past President, Western Institute of Nursing
As a doctoral student, I not only began to disseminate my work at annual WIN conferences, but was able to network with nursing scholars, scientists, and fellow students. It was exciting to meet the authors of books and articles I was reading for my courses and dissertation work. I will never forget discussing my study with an attendee when I suddenly noticed her nametag and realized I was explaining how I was applying her theory!
Becoming more involved in WIN, I became the student representative to the WIN Board of Governors, learning the intricacies of running a professional organization and making lasting friendships and connections. Since graduation, I have remained active in WIN and have served as President of the Board of Governors.
WIN is one of the few organizations that addresses the needs and interests of nurses and students engaged in research, practice, and education in all areas of health care. Opportunities such as the WIN conference are critical if we are to be successful in improving healthcare in the 21st century.
When you attend the WIN conference, you have an opportunity to NETWORK with nursing clinicians, faculty, scientists, and scholars who are:
- Leaders in nursing research, practice, and education in the Western region and across the US;
- Individual educators, clinicians, and researchers committed to sharing their expertise to develop knowledge and to apply it to advance the profession of nursing; and
- Leaders in health care delivery from diverse acute care, chronic care, and community based settings.
- Not to mention the added benefit of meeting new colleagues who are graduate and undergraduate students from across the country who are at various stages of completing their nursing educational programs.
You will have multiple learning opportunities throughout the conference, such as:
- Presenting your own scholarly work in a welcoming environment through a podium or poster presentation;
- Receiving instant feedback about your presentation from outstanding nursing scholars all while learning about the latest cutting edge nursing science for clinical, academic, and research settings;
- Being mentored in preparing for your podium or poster presentation.
Don’t forget a few fun activities to network with your new colleagues such as:
- Student meetings
- Special interest group meetings
- Breakfasts and receptions
All at a discounted conference registration rate for members! Join WIN Today
We hope to see you at a future conference!