ASU PhD Program Director and Associate/Full Professor
PhD Program Director and Associate/Full Professor
The Arizona State University (ASU) Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation (http://nursingandhealth.asu.edu) invites applications for PhD Program Director and Associate/Full Professor. This is a full-time fiscal year position as a tenure eligible faculty with an administrative appointment as the PhD and PhD/DNP Program Director. This academic administrative appointment is made by and renewable by the Dean of Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation. Workload assignment, including teaching, will be determined collaboratively with the Associate Dean for Research and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.
Located on the Downtown Phoenix campus, Edson College is part of a vibrant and diverse research, education, and practice community at ASU, which was named this year by U.S. News and World Report for the ninth year in a row as #1 in Innovation among all universities in the United States. Edson College offers a rich interprofessional research, mentoring, and teaching environment with unique and growing transdisciplinary PhD and PhD/DNP programs and several centers that encompass health equity; health promotion and disease prevention; mindfulness, compassion, and resilience; interprofessional practice, education, and research; and, healthy and resilient aging. Edson College faculty collaborate across professions, other colleges, and universities and have current or recent funding from NIH, PCORI, the National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education, HRSA, Department of Defense, the Veterans Administration, the Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation, and several other local, regional, and national organizations. Edson College faculty also collaborate with a wide-ranging group of community and healthcare organizations to improve the economic, social, and cultural health and vitality of shared local, state, national, and global communities. Examples of these organizations include Mayo Clinic, Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Banner Health, Dignity Health, HonorHealth, and the Phoenix VA Health Care System. More information about ASU’s Charter and Design Aspirations is available at the following link: https://newamericanuniversity.asu.edu/about/asu-charter-mission-and-goals.
Examples of program leadership, curriculum oversight, and mentoring expectations include:
- Participates with Edson College leadership and faculty to set strategic direction of the program.
- Fosters a collaborative, interdisciplinary model of education.
- Collaborates with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs on all aspects of PhD program administration and management.
- Manages application procedures that enhance admission of diverse groups of PhD students.
- Collaborates with DNP Program director on PhD/DNP student admissions, retention, progression, and graduation.
- Leads program assessment and academic program evaluation and review processes.
- Fosters community relationships in partnership with the Associate Dean for Research, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, and Edson Director for Academic-Practice Partnerships.
- Collaborates with faculty to design, develop, implement, and evaluate the PhD program.
- Collaborates with the Associate Dean for Research and the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs for PhD course assignments.
- Orients new PhD faculty in collaboration with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and the Associate Dean for Research.
- Oversees administration of comprehensive exams according to program policies.
- Participates in process(es) for graduate student funding and TA and RA opportunities.
- Maintains an active program of research and scholarship as a tenured faculty member.
- PhD or similar degree in nursing or health-related research area (i.e., community health, exercise science/physical activity, nutrition, public health, gerontology, integrative health, preventive medicine, psychology, sociology, or other related field) from an accredited university.
- If a registered nurse, holds a current unencumbered RN license or multi-state privilege to practice in Arizona
- If a nurse practitioner, holds a current unencumbered APRN certificate issued by the Arizona Board of Nursing.
- An established program of research as evidenced by extramurally funded research and peer-reviewed, high-quality publications/dissemination activities.
- At least one year applicable experience in coordinating academic programs or courses.
- Holds a tenured position as an Associate or Full Professor.
- Previous academic program leadership experience.
- Experience managing, supervising, and evaluating faculty, staff, and students
- Participation in program or curriculum design and development.
- Experience as a research mentor to undergraduate and graduate students.
- Experience as an effective teacher in the classroom, laboratory, or field sites.
- Professional leadership within local, regional, national, and international groups.
Application Deadline and Procedure:
Review of applications begins 10/30/2023. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled. Early applications are encouraged. A criminal and employment history background check will be performed prior to the employment offer.
Please apply by submitting:
1. Letter of interest
2. Curriculum vitae/professional resume
3. Names, postal addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. (See https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.)
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.